Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Idols : we have them in our lives...it's just not what we think they are...

Extracted From Crossway Blog :

Surface Idols -

The more observable of the two types of idolatry, surface idols are often easily-seen offshoots of deeper, less obvious sins. Some examples include:


• Image idolatry- Life only has meaning / I only have worth if I look certain way.

• Helping idolatry- Life only has meaning / I only have worth if people are dependent on me.

• Work idolatry- Life only has meaning / I only have worth if I am highly productive.

• Materialism idolatry- Life only has meaning / I only have worth if I have a certain level of wealth, financial freedom, and possessions.

• Inner Ring idolatry- Life only has meaning / I only have worth if I am part of a particular social or professional group

• Ideology idolatry- Life only has meaning / I only have worth if my political party or social cause is in or gaining power.

Source Idols -

The more subversive idols are the ones that drive all the other types of idolatries in our lives. They include:

• Comfort idolatry- Life only has meaning / I only have worth if I experience a certain quality of life or a particular pleasure.

• Approval idolatry- Life only has meaning / I only have worth if I am loved and respected by ________.

• Control idolatry- Life only has meaning / I only have worth if I am able to get mastery in my life over a certain area.

• Power idolatry- Life only has meaning / I only have worth if have power and influence over others.

No comments:

Post a Comment